Cleaning is the fundamental first step in the facial routine. It is essential that our skin is clean and free of impurities so that it stays healthy and so that the products that we apply penetrate the skin and take effect. If you also live in a city, it is even more important not to forget about daily facial cleaning since the skin is the area most exposed to pollution.
Some people do not give importance to this step or use non-specific products for the face, such as body shower gel. This is not recommended, as facial skin is thinner and more delicate, and body cleansers could be irritating. If you put on makeup, you should use a make-up remover and not a facial cleansing soap or a tablet or a body gel, since they do not completely remove makeup. In this post, we are going to focus on cleaning as a fundamental and essential step.
A facial cleanser helps keep skin clean; it removes dirt, sweat, excess sebum (oils produced naturally by the skin), bacteria, and particles present in the environment that adhere to our skin daily. Facial cleansers are milder than non-face-specific products, and in addition to cleansing, they help keep the skin hydrated.
Types of Cleansers
Depending on our skin type (dry, mixed, or oily) and the problems it may have (acne, redness, itching, dehydration), the texture and composition of the cleanser will be different.
Milk, cream, and facial oil cleansers work well for dry skin, as they are textures that, in addition to cleaning, nourish the skin. If you have mixed skin, fluid milk, foams, and gels will be your best allies.
What if your skin is oily? Gel textures are usually the most appropriate since they do not add fat to the face, combat shine, and give a feeling of freshness.
If your skin is sensitive, use mild cleansers that do not irritate you. Choose those that do not contain perfumes, without aggressive ingredients and which incorporate substances that calm and soften the skin, such as rose, aloe vera, witch hazel, or chamomile.
How to Apply Facial Cleanser
It will depend on the mode of use of each cleanser since there are some that are worked dry directly on the entire face; others with the skin previously moistened; or, sometimes, we even work the product on the face dry and then moisten. But in general, our tips for good cleaning are:
- STEP 1: Take a sufficient quantity of the product and work it between the palms of your hands, either to melt the texture or to foam and then apply it to your face.
- STEP 2: Massage for a few seconds, making upward circular movements all over the face, including the neck and neckline as much as possible. It is very important not to forget the “conflictive” areas such as the nostrils, around the lips, and the area closest to the line where the hair begins.
- STEP 3: Finally, rinse with warm water and remove the last remains with a muslin. Our advice is to use cold water to finish the rinse.
If you use an electric facial cleanser, cleaning will be much more complete and also more fun. If you are “lazy” with facial cleaning in general, perhaps what helps you to be more consistent with this step are these types of beauty accessories, and the results are even better. Our recommendation: the LUNA or LUNA mini range from the Swedish brand FOREO. Its devices are made of ultra-soft and hygienic silicone and are equipped with T-Sonic transdermal sonic pulsation technology. In addition, all of them are waterproof, lightweight, and therefore easy to transport. With the LUNA 2 facial cleansing brush with anti-aging treatment, you can find 4 different models, and its filaments determine what type of skin each model is intended for (sensitive skin, combination skin, normal skin, oily skin). On the other hand, the LUNA mini model is suitable for all skin types.
How to use the Electric Facial Cleanser
Follow these simple steps when using your electric facial cleanser:
- STEP 1: Make sure the skin is perfectly make-up-free, otherwise the electric facial cleanser will deteriorate much sooner.
- STEP 2: Use a foamy cleanser, you can apply it directly to the face or in the cleansing device (never use oils or cleansers with exfoliating particles). Spread the foam all over the face evenly.
- STEP 3: Begin the facial cleansing massage by making gentle and slow strokes from the center of the face outwards and always starting from the chin to the forehead. Next, do the same on the other side of the face. And, finally, it is important not to forget the area of the nose and around it, which is done by sliding the device up and down.
- STEP 4: Rinse the face foam with plenty of water and dry the skin before applying the rest of your facial care products.